Autologous Breast Reconstruction
Conveniently located to serve Houston, Sugar Land and Pasadena
Restore Your Figure with Natural Breast Reconstruction
If you have lost one or both breasts, it can have devastating effects on your self-confidence and mental well-being. Fortunately, breast reconstruction can restore your figure and give you a renewed sense of wholeness. Dr. Azita Madjidi uses advanced surgical techniques to perform natural breast reconstruction, a procedure that uses your own tissue to reshape your bust. All-natural methods are extremely effective, and the results are permanent. To learn more about natural breast reconstruction, also known as autologous breast reconstruction, contact our Houston practice today.
What Is Autologous Breast Reconstruction?
During autologous breast reconstruction, Dr. Madjidi will rebuild your breast using tissues from another area of your body. She may use one of several advanced techniques, and she will conduct a complete exam to determine the right method for you.
Natural breast reconstruction can be divided into two types:
- Pedicle flap surgery: During pedicle flap surgery, Dr. Madjidi will use tissue from your back or abdomen. These tissues remain attached to some of their blood vessels. Dr. Madjidi will then create a tunnel underneath your skin. She will bring the flap through the tunnel, and build a new breast mound.
- Free flap surgery: Dr. Madjidi will completely remove the flap of skin and detach it from the surrounding blood vessels. The flap is transferred to the breast, where it is connected to blood vessels in the chest. Free flap surgery typically takes longer than pedicle flap surgery, and the recovery is a bit more extensive. Dr. Madjidi typically uses abdominal tissues to create free flaps.
After rebuilding your breast mound, Dr. Madjidi may also be able to reconstruct your nipple and areola.
Candidates for Autologous Breast Reconstruction
To determine if you are a good candidate, Dr. Madjidi will examine:
- Your body type: You must have enough extra tissues for the surgeon to create the flap. However, even if you are naturally thin, Dr. Madjidi may have an alternate solution. For example, she could use tissues from your buttocks, rather than from your stomach.
- General health: Certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, can constrict your blood vessels. In these cases, Dr. Madjidi may harvest the flap from tissues on your back.
- Future pregnancy: If you plan to get pregnant, Dr. Madjidi does not recommend an abdominal flap. However, you may benefit from another method of natural reconstruction.
Benefits of Natural Breast Reconstruction
Breast reconstruction using an implant is also a highly effective treatment. However, natural reconstruction offers several benefits that may make it the right choice for you. First, autologous reconstruction uses your own tissues. Therefore, there is no risk of implant rejection. Additionally, while implants will eventually need to be replaced, natural reconstruction is permanent. Finally, Dr. Madjidi does not use any synthetic materials to perform this procedure. Therefore, your new breast will look and feel very lifelike.
No matter which type of reconstruction you choose, the biggest benefit is the effect that the treatment can have on your overall quality of life. Following your procedure, you may feel more confident and more at peace than you have in quite some time.
Get Started on Your Journey to a Restored Figure
Schedule your consultation to learn how Dr. Madjidi can rebuild your figure.
by Azita Madjidi